Wednesday, December 11, 2013

93. Get Dressed Up and Go To a Ball

There are tons of balls that you can go to, most of which are at least $100 per ticket and filled with stuffy people.  Not exactly the price I want to pay to hang out with people that are rather uninteresting or uninterested. 

A newer friend of mine, DeAnn, (she plays Ultimate Frisbee with Brian) posted a link to the 4th Annual 1940's White Christmas Ball which was held at the Wings Over the Rockies museum and it seemed like a good fit for us.  We were not only going to get to dress up for a ball, but we were going to get to dress up in a theme costume which is always fun!  We went by ourselves as none of our friends opted to join us.  They missed out on a fun evening filled with fancy dresses, a few freaks and a fabulously good time! 

I narrowly avoided a dress catastrophe - I ordered my dress and it was on the proverbial slow boat from China.  It did not arrive by Saturday so we had to make an emergency trip to ARC.  Thankfully, and this probably never happens, I found a red dress with white polka dots that fit me perfectly!  I was able to scrounge up some vintage gems that were my Great Grandma Armstrong's and a faux fur shoulder cover up to give me a more authentic look.  Brian rented his uniform and also got lucky as most were already rented.  We looked fabulous and I think maybe Brian should have a uniform in his closet at all times now, you know, just in case.  ;)

The evening started out great - Brian and I opted to take a picture with Santa, which I haven't done since I can't even remember.  Literally, no picture of me sitting on Santa's lap exists, at least to my knowledge.  I did make a wish, I wished for snow!  While most people will be like "why?"...the skier in me had to! 

Photo taken by Sheila Broderick Photography

From there we promptly headed to get drinks, which the bartenders were making strong!  We met a cool, newly engaged couple, Lisa and Steve, while loitering near the bar area. Steve couldn't take the strength of the drink and had to get some more mixer added, which is what prompted us to talk to them in the first place.  From there, Lisa and I hit it off and we found out that we live in the same area of Denver.  I'm hoping she calls me (yes, it does feel like I'm waiting for "that guy" to call after a first date, hah!)

Finally DeAnn and friends arrived so we had some more company other than random people.  We boogied the night away to jazz bands, drank our dinner and took some really fun pictures with lovely Christmas scenery.  We also watched Wanda Jackson, the Queen of Rock, perform and watched people attempt a conga line.  Being the 72nd Anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, there were some veterans in the crowd.  I couldn't resist and had to smooch one on the cheek - he was so cute - he smooched me back!  All in all, it was a really lovely evening and I am definitely interested in going to the WWII Ball this summer!  I also want to take pin-up shots for my husband someday, I really do think he'd enjoy that!  :) 

A big thanks to DeAnn (pictured) for the shots below! 



 
These shots were taken by The Vintager:
 

 

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Rapid City, SD. Loved growing up there and am a little sad that my theoretical kids won't be able to grow up there - unless, God forbid, I move back. I moved away for college to Omaha, NE. I went to Creighton University. Great education, great professors - not a good place for young people with an itch for action! I moved to Denver in August of 2004 and love it! I recommend that all people live in at least one other place besides their hometown - the world is so full of opportunities, we just have to move out of comfort zones!